St. Genevieve’s Parish, then located on what is now the site of Community First Bank at the Downtown Mall, broke ground for the first parochial school in Las Cruces on May 3, 1927. This date is the Feast of the Finding of the Holy Cross, so it was deemed appropriate to name the school “Holy Cross School.” That first three-room school was just north of the Church and was used for primary grades. The school was dedicated September 14, 1927, on the feast of the Exultation of the Holy Cross. The first 8th grade class of eight students graduated in 1933.
By 1958, there were 300 students attending Holy Cross School. As the school continued to grow, Immaculate Heart of Mary School was founded in 1957 in order to meet the enrollment demands. In 1962, Holy Cross School moved to its new and present facility on Miranda Street.
Since the mid 1980′s, there was discussion of consolidating the two schools in order to promote growth, unity of purpose, and better utilization of resources. So in 1995, a single administrative team was hired to oversee the two schools and facilitate their consolidation. In January 1996, the two school boards merged under one constitution. The two schools then became the Las Cruces Area Catholic School with two sites, Holy Cross Campus and Immaculate Heart of Mary Campus. In the spring of 2001, the Las Cruces Area Catholic School was reorganized as Las Cruces Catholic School under the governance of a Board of Directors.